University Study Seeking Expert SCRABBLE Players!

Come here when you have absolutely nothing to say and the need to say it! :-) Off-topic discussions are welcome.

University Study Seeking Expert SCRABBLE Players!

Postby MikeCGU » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:55 pm

For those of you who have already participated or have been contacted by me via email, please disregard the below post - thank you for your participation!

Dear Scrabble Enthusiast,

Greetings! My name is Michael Toma and I am a doctoral student at Claremont Graduate University. I am conducting a research project under the supervision of my research advisor, Dr. Diane Halpern that examines the skills associated with different types of expertise. Due to the nature of this study and it's emphasis on expertise, we have tentatively defined expertise as a ranking of 1550 or higher at one point in your career. Your participation is completely voluntary; but upon agreement to participate, you will be entered into a lottery where you will have a 1 in 3 chance of winning a $25.00 gift certificate to Amazon.com.

This research focuses on the skills of expert Scrabble players and expert crossword puzzle players in respect to competitive game play. We want to understand how experts in these two competitive games process different types of information. There are no risks associated with your participation in this study. We can assure complete confidentiality as your name will be removed from the data so that it will not be available after you complete this study.

The study requires that you complete 4 short tasks that will take approximately 10 to 20 minutes each, all of which are hosted online. Once you have completed the tasks, you will be asked to complete a brief online survey. The intent of this survey is to obtain background information that may be useful in explaining your performance during competitive play. The 4 tasks, as well as the survey, have all been hosted online for your convenience and can be taken at any time and place that best works for you, once you have agreed to participate. The only requirements necessary for the software to run is that you have access to a Windows-based computer.

Please be advised you must be at least 18 years old to participate in this study. If you are interested in participating or have any questions that I may answer, please feel free to email me at Michael[dot]Toma[at]cgu[dot]edu or my research advisor, Dr. Diane F. Halpern at Diane[dot]Halpern[at]cmc[dot]edu. The Claremont Graduate University Institutional Review Board, which is administered through the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP), has reviewed this project. You may also contact ORSP at (909) 607-9406 with any questions.

Your participation will help advance research in the study of expertise among Scrabble and crossword players. Furthermore, in the scientific and educational settings, it will create a greater understanding, appreciation, and awareness for Scrabble and crossword games. I look forward to hearing back from you and your potential acceptance to participate in this frontier, exciting research! Dr. Halpern and I would sincerely appreciate your help.

Once the entire study has completed, a summary of the results will be given to you as well if requested. Thank you for your time and do feel free to pass the word onto other Scrabble experts!

Best regards,

Michael Toma
Ph.D. Student
Applied Cognitive Psychology
Claremont Graduate University
Michael[dot]Toma[at ]cgu[dot]edu

Diane F. Halpern, Ph.D.
Trustee Professor of Psychology & Roberts Fellow
Claremont McKenna College
Past-president, American Psychological Association
Diane[dot]Halpern[at]cmc[dot]edu
www[dot]DianeHalpern[dot]com
MikeCGU

Re: University Study Seeking Expert SCRABBLE Players!

Postby Yarn Chief Sr » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:59 pm

I think you'd get more people wanting to help if it was a guaranteed gift certificate. Not a 1/3 chance. That's like hiring a bunch of people for a job but only paying a third of 'em.
Yarn Chief Sr

Postby MikeCGU » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:33 pm

Yarn Chief Sr wrote:I think you'd get more people wanting to help if it was a guaranteed gift certificate. Not a 1/3 chance. That's like hiring a bunch of people for a job but only paying a third of 'em.

Hi Yarn Chief Sr,

Thank you for your reply. My understanding is that the majority of competitive players are not in the field of Scrabble for the monetary reward, but rather the enjoyment and competitive nature of national tournaments. Thus, I am inclined to believe that those who do wish to participate are not doing it for the compensation, entirely. Furthermore, this 1/3 chance increases the probability of recruiting experts who are in it more so for the experience and less so just to participate for the money, per se. Additionally, compensation is partially out of my hands, as I am only a graduate student - the university is primarily responsible for the allocation of funds towards various research projects.

I certainly understand where you're coming from - but I suppose there has to be somewhat of an intrinsic interest in the research process and the potential outcomes that result from research for one to want to participate in a study of this nature in the first place.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

- Mike
MikeCGU

Postby jrbrooks » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:51 pm

I'll do it. I'll email you in the near future.

-Jim Brooks
jrbrooks

Postby MikeCGU » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:44 pm

jrbrooks wrote:I'll do it. I'll email you in the near future.

-Jim Brooks

Hi Jim,

That's great news! I look forward to your email.

Take care,

- Mike
MikeCGU

Return to From AA to ZZZ