And I thought people on here were decent...

And I thought people on here were decent...

Postby CanadianBacon » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:18 am

I had a very brief match one day, where my opponent played a bingo, and I debated challenging it. I decided to test the word, and it came off as unacceptable. He then proceeded to stop playing. I thought MAYBE he disconnected, so I adjourned.

Then today I went on, saw that he was also on, and resumed the game.
What followed should make anyone cringe at it's complete ignorance.

He explained to me that he thought I was cheating because I took too long to challenge. He challenges quickly because he shows respect and doesn't have the luxury of playing like he does face to face. Ok, I can accept that point of view without a problem. He wants to appear as legit as possible.

But then he starts getting prejudice for no reason. He explains that while HE is courteous and respectful, I am from Canada. Huh? He replies that I "proved to him" I was either cheating or rude (ie: Canadian). So he basically slapped a negative sterotype on my country.

Then he tells me to look up the word "flippant". Um, ok.

–adjective 1. frivolously disrespectful, shallow, or lacking in seriousness; characterized by levity: The audience was shocked by his flippant remarks about patriotism.

So I'm assuming my scrabble behaviour is "flippant" or something, even though that makes no sense. But no, he responds like this:

"Are you daft as well? It was I who was being so in deriding your pathetic country"

I asked him what this has to do with anything, and he noplays me, telling me he's had enough of me. But to play him if I come down where he lives. Uh, ok then. People need to chill out a bit on here and just enjoy the game.
Matt Larocque, Edmonton, Alberta.
CanadianBacon

Re: And I thought people on here were decent...

Postby TheLamb » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:20 am

lol. Yeah, you know us Canadians. We're known for being so rude.
TheLamb

Postby CanadianBacon » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:51 am

I know, aren't we supposed to be associated with being TOO polite? Which Canadians has this guy been around?
CanadianBacon

Postby soccerguy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:34 pm

CanadianBacon wrote:I know, aren't we supposed to be associated with being TOO polite? Which Canadians has this guy been around?

Torontonians, no question :P
Jesse Matthews - 26 - Vaquero
soccerguy

Postby Locke » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:26 pm

Wow. It's a good reminder that regardless of the venue, there are always people that defy all odds to be morons. Obviously that doesn't mean it's indicative of the group as a whole.

Perhaps future technology will bring us a nice screening process upfront, something like jury selection. ;) Then ISC could just throw a big asterisk next to those people that are biased, racist, etc. But I have a feeling we're a good ways from that...
Andy Murphy, 32 - Greensboro, NC.
Locke

Postby soccerguy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:58 pm

Locke wrote:Wow. It's a good reminder that regardless of the venue, there are always people that defy all odds to be morons. Obviously that doesn't mean it's indicative of the group as a whole.

Perhaps future technology will bring us a nice screening process upfront, something like jury selection. ;) Then ISC could just throw a big asterisk next to those people that are biased, racist, etc. But I have a feeling we're a good ways from that...

I can see it now - the first person to have "ISC has cancelled the non-douchebag agreement" on his or her profile will be utterly pwned.
soccerguy

Postby CanadianBacon » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:32 pm

Yeah well... moderating people's behaviour is never completely feasible, since the line between acceptable and unacceptable behaviour is subjective for everyone.

I suppose I just expected the game of scrabble wouldn't attract someone as ignorant as say... a 12 year old brat harrassing people on some online FPS's. And he was a decent rating too so he must have studied and practiced a lot - yet still could say something so randomly disrepectful.
CanadianBacon

Postby soccerguy » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:36 pm

CanadianBacon wrote:Yeah well... moderating people's behaviour is never completely feasible, since the line between acceptable and unacceptable behaviour is subjective for everyone.

I suppose I just expected the game of scrabble wouldn't attract someone as ignorant as say... a 12 year old brat harrassing people on some online FPS's. And he was a decent rating too so he must have studied and practiced a lot - yet still could say something so randomly disrepectful.

To be honest, while it sucks that people are like that, I have had far worse. A barrage of F bombs intermixed with other equally foul words, death threats, IM bombing, bruteforcing, etc etc, all over a game of Scrabble/Literati. It amuses me greatly now :lol:
soccerguy

Postby CanadianBacon » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:13 am

To be honest, while it sucks that people are like that, I have had far worse. A barrage of F bombs intermixed with other equally foul words, death threats, IM bombing, bruteforcing, etc etc, all over a game of Scrabble/Literati. It amuses me greatly now :lol:

Not really that surprising, people aren't afraid to tell you how they REALLY feel on the interwebs.

For example, tonight I discovered that beating an expert rated player on ISC makes me a horrible a**hole that doesn't know what the **** I'm doing, and shouldn't play up. And listing my personal achievements is equated to bragging about incompetence, because I don't have hundreds of 600+ games under my belt.

Personally if I lose to a lower rated player, I congratulate them instead of giving them a verbal thrashing, then I check what I did wrong to cause myself to lose.
CanadianBacon

Return to Internet Scrabble Club