HOWTO: Creating Quizzes Based on Playability

Information about Zyzzyva, the word study, anagramming, and word judging tool.

HOWTO: Creating Quizzes Based on Playability

Postby scrabblephreak » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:20 pm

scrabblephreak

Re: HOWTO: Creating Quizzes Based on Playability

Postby Magrathean » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:02 am

awesome. I did this by much more complicated means for the 6. thanks for posting!
Magrathean

Postby arenasnow » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:21 pm

Oh wow. Although I haven't studied most of the words, I'm freakishly obsessive regardless, and I once took John O'Laughlin's list of words by playability then split it up by word length in Excel, then found a macro to sort them in alphagram order, and separate the words of various lengths into individual spreadsheets. This took many hours. Basically I did exactly what Zyzzyva is programmed to do largely by hand (although I did eventually assemble a macro to count the number of letters in a word), because I'm too horrific a programmer to be able to code it myself. I guess I should see if somebody has done my dirty work for me before I spend hours sorting through a list in Excel, time that could be spent actually memorizing the words. I don't think I knew of Zyzzyva at the time, however.
arenasnow

Postby slipkin » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:30 pm

arenasnow wrote:Basically I did exactly what Zyzzyva is programmed to do largely by hand

CrossMemo does a lot of the same stuff. It saves SuperMemo databases by default, but it can produce text files, too.
slipkin
Site Admin

Postby Albatross » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:28 am

How is "playability" determined? I don't doubt it's validity, I'm just interested in knowing what would be the best use of my time.
Albatross

Postby arenasnow » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:31 am

John O'Laughlin, one of the two (main) founders of Quackle, had the program play itself over and over again keeping track of how many points it gained after making certain plays over others, in an attempt to find what the most playable words are (i.e. the ones you should memorize first). Usually, that means four or five letter words with many vowels or with high-scoring letters, and high-probability seven-letter words (but not the highest necessarily...SEQUOIA appeared high on the list, which is not a high-probability word, but very playable given the Q there...there aren't too many relatively high-probability Q bingos...QINTARS is probably another one that'll be up there.) QI obviously was the most playable word.
arenasnow

Postby el_jefe_rey » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:41 pm

...so, could anyone point me to a list of alpha-grams (and the solutions) for the entire list of 8s (by Zyz probability)? I see we have one available in playability order, right?
el_jefe_rey

Postby ar-raqis » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:56 pm

As best I can tell, this list by Paul Phillips uses the same probability order as Zyzzyva does. (Sevens are here.)
Quinn
is a bad example and will have NOCAKES# today
ar-raqis

Postby orgiacphiz1 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:59 pm

I realize this thread is from 4 years ago and about quizzes, but I was wondering how to make a list of playable 5s and 6s with the anagrams together. For example, when you search by playability, BOHEA and OBEAH are not next to each other. This throws me off because whenever I lay eyes on a word, I always like to see it's anagrams and I make lists accordingly. Is there a way to rejigger the playability list to have the anagrams together?
orgiacphiz1

Return to Zyzzyva